Friday, June 24, 2011

Baked Zucchini Cakes


The "baked" zucchini, squash, and potato fry rounds are a favorite in my kitchen whether you are dipping it in honey, ketchup, or spinkling them with cinnamon (sweet potato fries respectively), but today is feeling more like a down home Louisiana hush puppy meets crab cake kind of day. I set out on a mission to incorporate my not so healthy cravings into a side dish that I won't regret. They are so so so so good!
If you are into perfect circles then you would probably prefer my husband's pancakes, but alas, all you get is me... imperfect circles and all. They taste great though!!!

*Substitutions: Make this recipe yours
-If you don't like spice, switch out jalapeno juice and cayenne pepper for Italian seasoning
-For more of a garden patty, add shredded carrots or vegetable flakes

-For a little bit of vegetable and more "normal" food, use 1 1/5 cups of zucchini shreds and 1 1/5 cups of hash brown potatoes


 
3 cups of shredded zucchini (food processor or mandolin required) 
1/2 cup of onion minced (I used my food processor)
3/4 cup of All Purpose flour or bread crumbs
1 T of jalapeno juice or super tiny diced jalapenos
pinch of cayenne pepper
S&P (Salt and pepper to taste)In a food processor, I demolished (some say shred) my zucchini. Here is your "live and learn" tip of the day: the measurement of zucchini, in this case 3 cups, is measured after you have squeezed out all of the water. This tip is so very very important because if you do not squeeze out the water, what you are left with is soggy food that never bakes firm. 
To squeeze out zucchini water, literally take a dish cloth or cheese cloth (paper towel isn't the best choice but certainly use it if it is all you have) and ring out the water. You know you are successful when the zucchini shreds are almost flaky and light like moist bread crumbs.
1 egg
1 cup of milk (I use non-dairy milk)

Lightly oiled cookie sheet
Olive Oil or Spray oil

Makes 8 cakes depending on size
Preheat oven to 425 degrees


In a food processor, I demolished (some say shred) my zucchini. Here is your "live and learn" tip of the day: the measurement of zucchini, in this case 3 cups, is measured after you have squeezed out all of the water. This tip is so very very important because if you do not squeeze out the water, what you are left with is soggy food that never bakes firm.
To squeeze out zucchini water, literally take a dish cloth or cheese cloth (paper towel isn't the best choice but certainly use it if it is all you have) and ring out the water. You know you are successful when the zucchini shreds are almost flaky and light like moist bread crumbs.

Add all ingredients together and stir to combine until you have a thick biscuit like batter. I always place foil (shiny side up) on my cookie sheet for easy clean up and then spray oil. However you decide to do it, make patties into the size you want and place on the pan. I then sprayed a little oil on top side to help with the beautiful golden-ing process.

I did try two in the skillet to see which cooking method I preferred. The skillet method is faster , but the oven method allows you to finish the rest of your meal. So it is really up to you.

For the skillet, I lightly oiled a skillet and cooked until golden on both sides over medium heat.
In the oven, I baked them at 425 degrees for 10 minutes on each side.