Monday, June 20, 2011

Don't agonize, organize -Florynce R. Kennedy

Let's get something straight... I am not OCD, a clean freak, nor am I the girl who has an organized binder for everything she does arranged alphabetically on a pretty pink bookshelf straight out of Dolores Umbridge's office. (see Harry Potter Deathly Hallows part I if confused by the latter character reference) 

Who am I? I am simply a girl who figured out long ago that making as detailed a schedule as I can for each day is the ONLY WAY I will get anything of substance done the following day. 
How to get started? You are in luck!! I taught college freshmen this very same trick and we all know that if the common variety 18 year old can pick it up and USE it... let's just say I have every confidence in you!

First, let's talk needs:
-a scheduling device, book, app.
-an idea of what an ordinary day/week/month looks like for you
-your gym's classes schedule, hours of operation, or training plan (if that is the direction you want to go in) if you are more of a minimalist (I salute you) and you want to head outdoors armed with tennis shoes, sunscreen, and anything else (bike, helmet, skates....) or nothing else at all.
-lunch box (Why on earth would you want to exercise and then eat fast-food french fries for lunch.. hmmm?) ;)

Second, the schedule:
I prefer the hour by hour method type calendar; especially loving my Google calendar for the simple fact that I never have to feel guilt over sweeping eraser boogers onto the floor.
  • Step 1: Go ahead and fill in the "set in stone" part of your day. You know you have work from this time to this time and any appointments or other plans. Also include drive time blocks if necessary and 8 hours (are you snickering?) of sleep.
  • Step 2: With a green colored pencil or blue ink pen, box in the blank parts of your day. How do you usually use this? Do you watch TV for six hours before bed? Do you think you could get up 30 minutes or an hour earlier every morning? Do you have 40 minutes to an hour for lunch?
  • Step 3: Select a time that you plan on setting aside for exercise and "try it on for size". Test it out, if it doesn't work well there, choose another time. Make sure that "you don't want to" is not the reason it doesn't work out...
Now, to THE NEW LIFE PLAN. Don't just dream, plan for success. If square one is the couch for you -fantastic!- plan on getting in at least 30 consecutive minutes of heart healthy cardiovascular exercise for 3 days. After two weeks, see if you can go 4 days and then keep going until you can conquer 45 minutes of cardio 6 days a week. 

We'll discuss adding balanced meals to your schedule in the next post. Good Luck! I know you can do this and do it well. 

Have you found a way to balance your day and do it successfully? Share your genius with me!

For more ideas on how to schedule: 
article: "Manage your time organize your life" from www.manageyourlifenow.com